Box Hill is a pretty good middle-class eastern suburb of larger Melbourne in Victoria, Australia. Via the freeway it is 14 kilometres from the cbd of Melbourne. The present town of Box Hill has got an established population of slightly below 12 000 people. For administrative purposes, Box Hill is now part of the City of Whitehorse.
Prior to the arrival of Europeans the area was home to the Wurundjeri Aboriginal people. The earliest European landholder was Arundel Wrighte whom had a a pastoral contract on the property in 1938. Box Hill was officially proclaimed a city in 1927 with it rising in the subsequent 100 years into its own city. In 1871, the inhabitants of the township was 154 and it was mostly orchards, wineries and other blended kinds of agriculture. During this time the town had been a key market hub for the fruits and vegetables that were grown in the area at the time. Box Hill was absorbed within greater Melbourne from the 50's as part of the eastward continuing development of Melbourne. The actual term of Box Hill was decided on at the meeting in 1860 of local residents put forward a variety of desired location names. A competition occured and won by a local store owner, Silas Padgham, who was later the first postmaster of the area. Silas was born in Box Hill in Surrey, England, and this end up being the term for the town.
Today, Box Hill is recognized for its big Chinese population with more than 65% of people not born the country. Box Hill has also Melbourne’s tallest high-rise properties outside the central business district and due to sometimes it is called Melbourne's 2nd city. It has these days turned into a key transport centre for the eastern suburbs with certainly one of the busiest suburban train and bus facilities. It includes a leading hospital which first started out in 1956 and a substantial shopping area. The place is served by 3 high schools and one TAFE together with several primary schools and kindergartens.
A large landmark within Box Hill is the old Surrey Dive which was a well-known swimming hole. It was certainly not really a lake, but a hole that was excavated to supply clay for the brick manufacturing plant close by, beginning in 1880 that was filled up with water. You'll find multiple unsubstantiated rumours and tales around drownings at the lake. Surrey Dive was made at that time into amongst Australia's premier swimming competition locations. It was useful for competition before the 30's, when a pool was built next to the Dive. The building of the brickworks still exist however have not operated for a long time and has become the target of graffiti spammers and vandals lately. For this reason it is currently fenced off and run down. The big smokestack continues to cast a shadow on the dive. The Dive has become an ornamental lake and also the home for the model boat club. The lake is no longer useful for swimming. That old brickworks is a secured heritage site.